Sunday, March 24, 2013

Gefilte Fish and Matzoh Balls

If like me you have already begun preparing for Passover tomorrow night, please take this earnest advice. You must begin with Slim Gaillard. Play it loud. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnz1nq8raP8 Then get yourself two pounds of white fleshed fish. I like cod, but carp is even better. It must be fresh. Obliterate with your knife into a fine paste. Add a handful of matzoh meal, an egg white, some salt. Keep it simple. Poach these in a simple fish stock, maybe with some dill, a sliced shallot, and carrot. Strain the fume before poaching your quenelles. After about 15 minutes on the barest simmer remove them to a capacious glass jar, reduce the stock and pour over the fish and refrigerate until tomorrow. Serve with horseradish of course, and for true officionados, the gelatinous goo, i.e. bugger snots, that happily form if you've used fish bones in your stock. I only eat this once a year. Why not more frequently? I wish I knew.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

chag sameach! Do you know the history behind gefilte fish? (the fish of our affliction...).

We pass on the fish in these parts, but are big fans of olive oil as the matzo ball fat. Last year's favorite were curried matzo balls in a veggie/ginger/lemongrass broth. They really are versatile dumplings.

Ken Albala said...

To you too Kelly. Though really, if you make it yourself it's nothing like the stuff in the jar. In fact last year I think I used dashi stock, ginger and sesame oil. Confusing, but really good. Could have gone in a noodle wrapper too, now that I think of it. Well, not for Passover!

Deana Sidney said...

When we needed gefilte fish for a movie, we bought it (not that it mattered, no one could eat it after 12 hours under the lights!). I've never attempted a homemade version but you have piqued my interest! I particularly like the oriental spin on a classic.

buy rs gold said...

To you too Kelly felix. Though really, if you create it yourself it's nothing like the things in the jar. Actually last season I think I used dashi inventory, cinnamon and sesame oil. Complicated, but really excellent. Could have gone in a noodle wrapper too, now that I think of it. Well, not for Passover!

Gold For RS
Dioblo 3 Gold Kaufen
cheap aion kinah

Anonymous said...

bape outlet
retro jordans
yeezy
chrome hearts
off white clothing
jordan 11
supreme new york
hermes bags
golden goose
air jordan