Monday, May 28, 2012

Sweet Little Piggie

I know you're not supposed to get attached to your food, but this little piggie was so sweet. Kristine bought her and brought to a yearly Hootenany. It took 5 hours to roast her (the pig, not Kristine) slowly over white hot coals. Just salt. I thought the huge wooden stake was a good idea, though covered in foil so it didn't ignite. Two piles of rocks on either end held it up. Best of all: I cut it up as quickly as I could and it was litterally grabbed and gobbled up within a few minutes. About 60 pounds. There's only a little ziplock bag left, which I think will have to be pulled and sauced for dinner tonight.

6 comments:

BistroMD Coupons said...

Even roasted the pig still has a lot of style. Style Roasted pig is certainly delicious.

Ken Albala said...

Comments your Cryptic Style are, Ms. Coupons, but thanks.

Glenn said...

Long ago, in the hills of Tuolumne, my father helped a teacher that came to our high school on an exhange program from Hawaii--the house she was assigned to was above the snow line, and she'd never dealt with snow, and other such delights.

To show her thanks, she threw a proper luau for us, including a pig roasted in just that fashion--we were hacking the meat off that pig any way we could (including my pocketknife, which I still have and use).

That was probably the first time I truly had my food horizons expanded. What a tasty memory--thanks for reminding me of it!

Ken Albala said...

Wow, that sounds great Glenn, wasn't it buried in the ground though? I've done that too, with not so spectacular results.

Glenn said...

Nope, it was suspended over a fairly shallow pit. My "job", as a responsible-ish 14 year old, was to use a spray bottle to kill any flames that licked up from the coals when the fat dripped out. And incidentally, spray my sister with the bottle.

So we got that glorious crackling skin as well as perfect meat. Oh, dang it. I'm drooling on my keyboard.

Needs Mead said...

Awesome. We managed to roast a suckling pig in our Boston apartment oven, and it was received with similar speed and enthusiasm. So good!