Friday, August 6, 2010

German Salami


Folks, If you happen to be in the Bay Area tonight around 7:00, there's a signing/tasting at A Great Good Place for Books in Montclair, just above Oakland and Berkeley. And yes, I shall be serving this gorgeousness. I had to taste it first right? Along with some nice sour caraway rye. And pickles. Thinking Germany I guess.
Here's how I made it: Take one pound of beef round. I suppose you could start with ground beef too. Then beat the living daylights out of your meat - in a capacious mortar. The only way to get this fine texture. Add a clove of garlic, salt, pepper, the tiniest smidgen of instacure #1 and a little fine sugar. Keep pounding. Put in a medium width beef bung. Hang in a cool place. Wait three days. Then smoke gently over applewood for about an hour. Hang for another 2 weeks, or until desired stiffness. This is one of the tastiest salamis I have ever made, and I think maybe the second I have ever made of beef. Give it a shot.

7 comments:

kryssie's daily photo said...

Sounds delicious. Is it the smoking that makes it a German Salami?

Ken Albala said...

Ja, mit Knoblauch und Senf gemacht.

Sustainable Eats said...

Love this! I made some pepperoni this spring and hung it in the utility room. Then the next day the dog got in and ate the whole string. Now that it's summer it's much warmer in there - is there any certain temp this must be done at? I plan to make a lot more cured meat this fall!

Love your blog.

Hunter Angler Gardener Cook said...

What's the fat ratio? I'd like to do this with venison, but I'd need to add beef or pork fat. Maybe 20 percent?

Ken Albala said...

Hey Folks, The fat ratio I didn't measure. It was whatever fat was on the beef. Round, if I remember correctly. Less than 20% I think. It was stored in the wine fridge. Around 55-60 degrees, good humidity, but it dries well in about 3 weeks. And there's enough bacteria in there or in the meat already to give it a good tang.

Anonymous said...

It looks a lot like the salami my grandfather used to send us from New York. There was also an all beef salami bent into a horseshoe shape, hard as a rock called Kochwurst.

seersucker suit said...

What is that food?