Sunday, March 13, 2011

Walnut/Currant Bread


I think I threw everything in the house into the smoker yesterday - a cured brisket, sausages, a pork shoulder. So it was surprising at the end of the day that this bread was the most interesting thing that happened.
I'm not sure if this is how it's supposed to be done, but if you start with a regular levain dough, after 2 hours' rising, dump in walnuts, currants, sugar, butter. What could be bad about that? 12 hours rise in a bread pan. It makes a lovely breakfast, toasted. But what's that smokey smell? Ah, it's me.

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

I feel your pain - I made and smoked some chorizo and lamb merguez yesterday. Now our laundry hamper smells like smoke.

Ken Albala said...

Ha! My whole body still smells of it a few days later. No shower could get rid of it. Funny thing is I didn't even want to eat any of it after being inundated!