Sunday, March 13, 2011

Pickling Sunday


What a pleasant day for pickling. Someday I hope I'll be able to say I grew these and put up 100 pounds, but no. No chickens, no woodland for mushrooms, no verdant asparagus laden fens. But our local farmer's market did supply. 5 bucks for a big flat of brown eggs, 2.50 a bunch for fat local asparagus, and our own fungi finder provided these. Simple acid pickling. Not "canned" just hot brine and vinegar (50/50) with spices - saffron and lemons with the eggs, dill with the asparagus. Sealed and should be ready in a week or so. LOVE this stuff.

4 comments:

Deana Sidney said...

Although as a city dweller I count myself incredibly fortunate to have a pantry... that still doesn't leave room for canning.. I miss a basement shelf of those lovely jars... saffron pickled eggs sound wondrous decadent... imaging they would make a fab snack.
ps... thanks for the info on medieval food... the beef was great even if not Irish and I loved Anthimus.

Konnie said...

I haven't canned or pickled much for a couple years (been ill) but boy those eggs look so good, and I need to try that! Along with getting back to all the other canning I use to do.

Ken Albala said...

Konnie, The eggs are the simplest thing in the world. Hard boil them. Put them in a jar with a few tbs of salt in water, an equal amount of vinegar and whatever spices you like. I had one for breakfast this morning, and it was just sublime. No work at all.

Mary Piero Carey said...

Or, wait until you have almost emptied a jar of your favorite pickles, boil the eggs, eat the last pickle, and add the eggs. wait a few days & there you are.