Friday, March 4, 2011

Escabetx


Having breakfast at my desk in the morning means sitting adjacent to the storage shelves, and every now and then my nostrils are assailed by something pungent and odorific.
Today I sniffed with particular interest. OO doggy, OO dat? Ah, sardines. I forgot about them. A week ago, no two I think. At room temperature. In an escabetx. That means fried and doused in vinegar, olive oil, rosemary, pepper.
The surprise? It's remarkably mild. Dare I say even delicate? But it's not herring. Please, anyone knows where to find fresh herring, let me know. Pappa needs some seafoo.

6 comments:

Deana Sidney said...

Did you leave a plate of sardines open to the air for a week??? Wow, you are a brave man. Don't think I would have eaten it... but that's how happy mistakes are made.
I think I've seen fresh herring in the seafood store at Chelsea market.. never tried it!!

Peter Hertzmann said...

It's a ways for you to drive, but Hankook (a large Korean market) in Sunnyvale usually has fresh herring, Cheap, too!

Ken Albala said...

Deana, You're supposed to leave it for a week or more. It was covered with plastic to keep out dust, but yes, this is how it's done.

Peter, I may have to make the drive. None of the Asian markets here ever has fresh herring. I asked a guy in one and he pointed to a round flat fish. "No, herring" and he pointed again tot he same fish. !!

Carolyn said...

The other place you might try looking for herring would be in the Russian markets in Sacramento or West Sacramento.

gamelovers said...

Thanks for your nice experience to share with us. Really awesome article with plenty of informative things to be known for us.

This is a very interesting blog and so i like Cheap RS Gold and visit your blog again and again. Keep it up.Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. it ls a good article and love your words , so charming and make people learn a lot wow gold buying, thanks !come to my site wow gold buy for more cool games gold.

cnadicesue said...

These tips helped me out a lot. Thanks so much for your love to all. I'm a editor of gw4gold.com that offers buy guild wars 2 gold
Thanks for your nice experience to share with us. Really awesome article with plenty of informative things to be known for us.