Sunday, July 24, 2011

Tabbouleh




About 20-something years ago, in a little apartment in the Bronx, I tried out some recipes from the Silver Palate cookbook. Tabbouleh sticks in my mind as especially toothsome. I must have stuck to the recipe at first because that particular page is splattered with unspeakable ordure. Maybe of use someday to an intrepid culinary archaeologist. Even more interesting is how far I've strayed from the original recipe. The only thing similar is the hour's soak 1:1 ratio in water. I seem to have tripled the amount of parsely and lemon juice, thrown in red pepper and shallots. And interestingly, less olive oil than the original. All the other ingredients in the original are gone. Weird. But still a staple, as you can see with this Greek salad, hummus and homemade pita. This stuff is just in my blood.

1 comment:

Taste of Beirut said...

It used to bother me when I lived in France and would see our national dish, pride and joy, be transformed into a couscous-looking concoction that had nothing to do with the real thing; now I am more mellow about it. Your tabbouleh sounds delicious.