Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Cornish Pasties for the First Time

This was honestly the first time I've ever tried to make pasties. It was prompted partly by a recent trip to Britain, but moreso after having seen beef tallow, perhaps the same as suet, in my local grocery store. A few years ago I asked for it there and got a look like I was from Mars. The world has caught up. So you need to make a hot water crust, which is about half a cup of water and half a cup of fat, brought to the boil. I used about 2 cups of Italian pastry flour (whole wheat) and salt. You need to eyeball this, there is no exact measurement, pour in the liquid until it comes together as a dough. The filling is raw. One pound of short ribs cut off the bone and into tiny cubes. Then rutabaga the same size, onion ditto and a potato likewise. I had a lot of the vegetable filling leftover which went into a frittata. That's it. And it made 4 big pasties. A round folded over filling and pleated along the upper seam. Brushed with whole egg and baked about an hour or more at 350 degrees. And it really was fantastic.

13 comments:

Samuel Dyson Huddersfield said...

I am so hungry and absolutely drooling over these!

Mason Soiza said...

My wife made something like this before...I remember the taste! So delicious.

Peter Gale Godalming said...

I'm sure if I try this, I will mess up. Haha But, I will still try because I want one. It looks tasty.

WireMonkey said...

We went on a cruise the other week and they had pasties when we wandered into the buffet for an afternoon snack. Pretty sure they were repurposing some lamb shanks from the night before but it was a pleasant surprise.

Mark Deitch BBC said...

Oh wow, I had no idea that pasties were baked.

Sir Jack Brabham said...

I will try this once I get home!

Suzan Baker said...

I really hope they taste better then they look.
meet and greet Luton
meet and greet at Luton

ecatering.irctc. said...

This is such a good blog. Thanks for sharing this useful information. We are giving the services of fresh food in running in train.
Travel Food Services

seo company in riyadh said...

Cornish panties are something that is necessary to take in starters or snacks I really like them.

Anonymous said...

This blog is really great. I appreciate you providing this insightful knowledge. We are providing fresh food when travelling by train.

Advertising Agencies In Riyadh said...

Revolutionize your brand's marketing game with the expertise of these advertising agencies in Riyadh. From creative campaigns to digital strategies

yousef Abdullah said...

ملصق ممتاز! لقد وجدت المعلومات التي شاركتها ثاقبة وقيمة حقًا. يتماشى تمامًا مع موضوع ذي صلة تناولته في مدونتي [أدخل عنوان URL لمدونتك هنا]. لقد قمت أيضًا بتضمين رابط لمشاركتك في مقالتي الأخيرة. استمروا في العمل رائع

Abeer said...

This article is very informative.
https://mktc.com.sa/en/