Monday, August 4, 2014

Roskas

I have been thinking lately about the way our memory distorts the past, leaving out some details, highlighting others in odd ways. I suppose this process is meant to protect us from negative experiences and maximize the positive. But it can't be that simple. Sometimes there are things we desperately want to remember but just can't. And conversely there are things we recall for no good reason. Case in point I was in Mendocino yesterday and remembered a completely mediocre meal I had over 15 years ago in a restaurant as we passed it.

Sensory stimuli are recorded in our memory the same way and with the same capricious results. I have vivid olfactory hallucinations, I guess you'd call them, that occur randomly. But for the life of me, I can't remember what these are supposed to taste like. They're roskas. A kind of sweet eggy roll, sort of like challah. My grandmother Julia made these, and I haven't had them since 1977, probably earlier. I know the word, and you can even find recipes, mostly Hispanic, which makes sense. She was Sephardic.

This recipe is in her hand. My sister and I baked them as best we could a few weeks ago in London. I have no qualms about lack of measurements or precise directions. I prefer it in fact. I know how to make bread, so it was no big deal. But when they came out, I have to say, I not only have no recollection of what they were supposed to taste like, but they were fairly unspectacular. I thought the story would be about recovering a long lost recipe, that tasted exactly as it did when I was 13. We may very well have pulled it off to perfection, but the truth is, I can't remember. If there were only a way to record taste the way you can words.  

4 comments:

Chanchal said...


To install, activate and redeem the Mcafee card on your PC, you must have a product key or mcafee.com/activate activation code. If you have the code, you can enter the mcafee.com/activate by going to mcafee.com/activate and if you have any problem redeeming your activation code, you can contact our team through this website mcafee.com/activate Can contact and get information.

Chanchal said...

Amazon Prime is a subscription service that caters to the media needs of people through the Amazon Prime platform. amazon.com/mytv Notifies visitors about topics such as Register TV, Amazon Prime TV and MyTV code. To register your device on the Amazon website you go to our website amazon.com/mytv and enter the given code. You can do this by installing the Amazon Instant Video application on your smart TV, or the digital media player or video game console connected to your TV by visitingamazon.com/mytv the link amazon my tv provided by us in the description.

People's media needs can be met through the Amazon Prime platform. Amazon Prime is a subscription service, which can be subscribed by going to the link amazon.com/mytv . To know more about this you can visit the given link amazon.com/mytv and also subscribe. You can use the Amazon Instant Video application on your smart TV or by installing a digital media player or video game console, which will be given by the link amazon.com/mytv in my TV description.

sophiawebnet01 said...

"mcafee is an antivirus software providers that secure your computer for virus , worms ,trojens and other mailcious program .it provides full range of
security product like antivirus , firewall etc .you have to do mcafee antivirus download "

shivaniweb said...

utomatic optical inspection is a key of technique used in the manufacture & test of electronic circuit test .It's test system hardware very fast aoi
is best from other automatic system. To click this link aoi online support