Monday, February 18, 2013

Is it Edible?

I hesitate to admit it, but sometimes I scare myself. I was rearranging the meat cave and stumbled upon a hard nubbin of salami. Has to be from around Christmas time. I wacked it open and then remembered, AH, I put a pickled egg in there. It dried along with the salami and is hard and smells quite nice. But the question remains... can I eat it? Dare I? Has anyone ever heard of such perversity? Everytime I think I've invented something new someone tells me, nope it's been done. So I'm supposing this too is nihil novum sub sole.

8 comments:

Deana Sidney said...

too bad there isn't a kit for testing things like that... perhaps your school's science labs can help??

Looks amazing... maybe just the tiniest bite??

Glenn said...

If it smells all right, and you're still doubting, take a culture--slice a bit of it off, put it on a dish, and leave it out for a day, someplace warm. See what sprouts. If something scary forms right away, chances are it was in there already. On the other hand, how often do you get "salumi fail"?

Myrrh said...

It looks like a geode.

Anyway, we live in the age of modern medicine; it's your duty to eat it. If you -do- get wheeled into the ER you'll be advancing science why not.

Ken Albala said...

Myrrh, I like your thinking. WTF!

Jake said...

OT, but please make more videos where you cook meals from Apicius.

Ken Albala said...

Jake, THAT is a deal. Sometimes I think I'm straying away from my profession, which is indeed history.

Unknown said...

In the meantime, I hope http //www.survival-warehouse.com you enjoy this video recipe for beef merlot that I posted a few years ago.

Amanda said...

Dhow cruise Dubai is must Do's thing in one's in a life. when ever you people visit Dubai. Must book your dinner with Dhow Cruise.