Sunday, December 9, 2012

Fancy Footwork

This is a ZAMPONE. Not to be confused with ZAMBONI, though you could grease an ice rink with it. (Ok, I used that joke in the last cookbook, sorry.) But this is a different recipe. I wanted to see what would happen if left out all the skin inside and just used a good sausage stuffing. Lovely stiches arent they? My mutha would say you shoulda bina surgeon. Trust me, I had to use every blade in the house to bone and stich this. A carbon steel buffalo skinner to cut through the skin is essential and an exacto knife to poke holes through which you pass a trussing needle. It's definitely not sharp enough on its own. So this shapely gam will cure in the fridge for a week with salt, coriander, pepper, bay, etc. Then it will be gently poached for a few hours, then I think roasted so the skin gets crispy.There's a hefty layer of fat beneath. Betty Grable, eat your heart out.

And here it is after simmering for a few hours then popping in the oven to roast. It came out perfectly crunchy on the outside, sweet and fatty on the inside. You defintiely don't need to add more skin to the stuffing, as with a coteghino. Sliced nicely too. I brought it to a hoodie party last night and it was gobbled.

7 comments:

Zalbar said...

Use an icepick next time to make your holes.

Janine said...

Ken-I found you again after all of these years...and you're still as passionately insane about cooking and food, as am I!!

Ken Albala said...

Dear Janine whom I last saw in Boston maybe 5 years ago? But know from about 20 ago? Write to me directly! K

Nick Trachet said...

Serve with white beans

Unknown said...

Wow!it look so delicious yummy...

Ayalaland fine dining manila
kw

Hunter Angler Gardener Cook said...

Oooh, ballsy! Never had the patience to make a zampone. Nicely done!

bamgosoocom said...

A great content material as well as great layout. Your website deserves
all of the positive feedback it’s been getting. I will be back soon for further quality contents.

Try to check my blog: 출장안마
(jk)