Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Power of Suggestion

Why am I so susceptible to the power of suggestion? Last night I was talking to Kristine about romano beans stewed slowly in olive oil and fresh grated tomatoes. Now I am making it. I ran into Jim at the grocery and he was buying pancetta. So look what I had to make just now. I literally only heard the phrase chicken soup as a woman was about to pick up a can. I want that. So some freshly made stock is simmering away on the stove. It's terrible, I can't hear a single food item even mentioned without wanting it. Christian tells me he's making spaetzle. I want that too. To go in the stock of course. This is what happens when you really love every food on earth. A blessing or a curse?

4 comments:

Glenn said...

You know, I was going to leave a list of bizzare and often not-tasty foods just to trigger your suggestive instincts, but it's probably better that I don't. Because you'd make them all, and they'd be so stunning I'd have to give them a whirl too!

Oh, wait. Prune whip.

Or anything from those horrible 70's-ish Weight Watchers cards you can find posted online. Heh heh heh.

Ken Albala said...

Ah! Glenn, I have a set of those Weigh Watcher Recipe Cards from teh 70s. Don't make me dig them out.

Glenn said...

Inspiration Soup? Fluffy Mackerel Surprise?

Seriously, if you could take the concepts from those, and make them attractive and tasty, I'd go out to the car to fetch my hat, and take it off to you.

Ken Albala said...

I really do own those cards! Mackerel Surprise it is. I never refuse a challenge. And it will be tasty.