Sunday, December 13, 2009

Bartolomeo Scappi Dinner 1570


Yesterday I cooked for a benefit, directly from Scappi's Opera. Pictured here is the first cold antipasti course, a not untypical 16th c. starter: my olives and salami, a fennel salad, and my first mozarella (made from raw milk). I saw someone doing the whole pasta filata trick and thought, I can do that. My hands are still tingling - ouch. It went with my sourdough nicely. The second course was a minestra di foglie di rape (II:205) followed by a charming subtlety of sausages made from trout (III:153). The process was wacky, chopped trout into casings, poached in red wine, smoked for an hour and finally sauteed. They looked exactly like pork sausages, so I served them with my fresh sauerkraut and a pickled lady apple. I think Scappi would have approved the nod northward. The main course was a petto della Vitella mongana (II:34) braised in a clay pot in the oven for about 8 hours with prunes, cherries and a riot of spices. It was dizzyingly unctuous and went so well on bright yellow saffron and rose scented rice. A simpler apple pie to end. In all not a very expensive meal, but in terms of man-hours, an absurdity. Scappi had an army of cooks in the Papal kitchens and we are beginning to understand why.

8 comments:

Opy said...

Wow, sounds delicious and fun! :D

ephemeralist said...

Very impressive. You really did it all alone, no army in the background?

Saffron Paisley said...

Very impressive, indeed. Next time you cook such a meal, can I make a reservation for 20?

kryssie's daily photo said...

Bravo. What a scrumptious feast, so fitting for this time of year. I'm so jealous. Come cook with me for Christmas Eve.

Ken Albala said...

It would be a great honor to cook for all of you! When are you coming?

caryescudero said...

真的是這樣嗎..................................................

Channon Mondoux said...

How excellent,

I was just searching for an image to accompany a dinner we are serving in a week- based on Scappi's menu from Aug 8 (and others)on Aug 8, 2010 , as a fundraiser for a young man who has no health insurance.
We are doing several services, would you like to see images/notes/recipes when we're done?
And yes, making mozzarella in 108 degree water can be a challenge!

Cheapwowgold said...

Additionally, it’s going to save all of Cheap SWTOR Credits.All of us run into virtual goods becoming sold for many Sell WOW Gold of dollars in the Globe associated with Globe of warcraft game. Whenever you obtain RS Gold remarkable it will assist get a occupations to some higher level.